1. Exfoliate - Before applying self-tanner, exfoliate your skin with a loofah or mitt to remove dead skin cells. I recommend repeating this step 2-3 times over the 48 hours before you apply b.tan self-tanner.
2. Shave – Make sure to shave 12-24 hours before applying sunless tan. If you shave and apply immediately, you will have dots on your skin that look like freckles or deep pores.
3. Moisturize – Apply a light layer of oil-free lotion to your skin after shaving and exfoliating. This will help hydrate your skin and create a smooth surface for the self-tanner to be applied.
5. Apply in sections – Start with your legs and work up your body, applying the self-tanner in circular motions. Work in small areas and blend the self-tanner carefully around your joints and hairline to avoid any streaks.
6. Don’t rush – Give yourself ample time to apply self-tanner, especially if this is your first time. I allow 20-30 minutes for application and drying to ensure an event, streak-free tan. 7. Please pay special attention to your wrists – Use the leftover self-tanner on the mitt and rub it up and down your wrists and onto the back of your hands. Do not put more self-tanner on the mitt for this step.
8. Wash your hands – After applying self-tanner, rinse your mitt with soap and water and wash your hands thoroughly to avoid discoloration. Be sure not to let water splash back onto any treated body part; otherwise, it will leave a spot.
9. Wipe off fingernails and toenails – Use a wet wipe or damp washcloth and gently clean them so the sunless tanner doesn’t stain them.
10. Let it dry – Once you’ve applied the b.tan self-tanner, wait 10-15 minutes before getting dressed or touching anything. This will give the self-tanner time to dry and prevent it from staining your clothes or sheets. I usually spend a few hours wearing dark, loose-fitting clothes.